ANDC figures amongst top 50 in INDIA| The Principal talks to EDU Tech | NSDC - D U together present STAR Programme | Principal Dr. Savithri Singh facilitates relaunch of Creative Commons in India | Dr. Urmi Bajpai selected for Delhi Govt's Meritorious Teachers' Award | indiabioscience.org writes about ANDC
This year is marked with the distinct achievement of Dr. Sunita Hooda, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, who was conferred the 'Meritorious Teachers Award' by Smt. Sheila Dikshit, Hon'ble Chief Minister of Delhi, on May 10, 2012. Last year, Dr. Sarita Kumar, Associate Professor, Department of Zoology, was honoured with 'Meritorious Teachers Award' on May 10, 2011 by Chief Secretary, Government of the NCT of Delhi. The award included a cash prize of Rs 75,000/- and a certificate.
Earlier a watershed moment for recognition of faculty members of the college for having rendered yeoman service to the society. No less than three faculty members, Dr. Sarita Kumar, and Dr. Seema Makhija from Department of Zoology and Dr. M. S. Rajeswari from Department of Botany brought pride to college. They were felicitated by University of Delhi as Distinguished Teacher on Teachers' Day by Honorable ex-President Dr. A. P. J. Abdul Kalam. The event that attracted extensive press coverage and was the talk of the town, helped develop a sense of pride amongst students and colleagues of the college.
The college has also been running a number of Research Projects funded by various agencies viz. University Grants Commission, Department of Science and Technology, Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Environment and Forests, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and University of Delhi, of the tune of Rs. 2 crores. Many of the Research Projects have been successfully completed.
Dr. Savithri Singh, Principal of the college while striving to build an institution par excellence continues to contribute substantially in her role as an educationalist and a FOSS and OER evangelist. As the Vice-Chair and elected member of the International WikiEducator Community Council, she is instrumental in using the wiki platform to propagate Open Educational Resources (OERs) organizing a number of workshops on OERs and Wikieducator throughout the year both in college, in the south campus, at NCERT and some schools. Her efforts in this pursuit took her to Dhaka, Bangladesh where she conducted an International Workshop on 'Creating local content using WikiEducator and EasyNow' from 12 -15 December 2009.
Quality is a major issue whenever content is created for mass dissemination; this is also true of e-content. Commonwealth Educational Media Centre for Asia (CEMCA) of the Commonwealth of Learning set up a Core team consisting of experts from India and Malaysia for developing quality parameters for multimedia of which Dr Savithri Singh was selected a member. The first formal version of the document titled 'Quality Assurance in Multimedia Learning Materials' was presented at the meeting of the Core Group on Quality Assurance of Multimedia Learning Materials (QAMLM) at the India International Center, New Delhi on 2 April 2009.
Dr. Savithri Singh also believes that teachers in the Universities and colleges can contribute in a major way to e-content development. To tackle the problem of lack of familiarity to web tools for adapting content to e-mode, Dr. Singh is promoting use of the Wikieducator platform on the one hand for e-content upload, while on the other she believes EasyNow (a set of tools that enable easy modifications of static textual content into audio, video, enriched videos, presentation-streaming with voice-over and other modes suitable for the net) can be useful. Several workshops and a Base Camp on econtent development were conducted over the last year in the college.
Dr. Savithri Singh continues her contribution to school education by working with NCERT through various forums - she was invited by the Department of Education in Science and Mathematics of the NCERT, New Delhi for the programme entitled "Development of Exemplary Problems in Biology for Class XII". As member of the focus group 'Teaching of Science' that developed the Science Curriculum for the National Curriculum Framework she is often invited to address school teachers - she was invited to the Orientation Programme for the Southern Zone at the end of last year.
Dr. Singh has been recognized for her competence in the field of educational administration - she is a member of various Committees of the University of Delhi viz., Standing Committee to scrutinize the proposals for assigning new courses to the colleges for the academic year 2009-10, Business Advisory Committee of the Academic Council, Advisory Committee of the Department of Hindi Medium Implementation, Advisory Committee for Admission to lay down Admission Procedure for academic session and Science Courses Admission Committee. She also is Member of the Governing Body of Nagarjuna Government Science College, Raipur, Chhattisgarh as also member of the Departmental Advisory Board of the Department of Teacher Education, NCERT, New Delhi.
The other faculty members of the college are no less enterprising and their contribution to the world of science is remarkable. To note some of the more prominent contributions besides the publications in reputed Journals and Conferences:
1. Dr. Sarita Kumar was Invited for talk by Indian Science Congress Delhi Chapter on ‘Genetically Modified Foods: Harmful or Useful’ For ICSA members, held at India International Centre Annexe, New Delhi on 11th May, 2012.
2. Dr. Sunita Hooda, Department of Chemistry; Dr. Sarita Kumar, Department of Zoology and Dr. Urmi Bajpai, Department of Biomedical sciences have been recognized as Research Guides by faculty of Sciences, University of Delhi to supervise Ph.D. students.
3. Dr. Amit Garg’s book, Tsunami Lahron Ka Kehar, awarded second Prize of Rs.40000/- by Ministry of Earth Sciences, Govt. of India under Original book writing scheme in Hindi 2011.
4. Dr. Amit Garg chaired a session at International Conference on Applications of Optics and Photonics, Braga, Portugal, 3-7 May, 2011.
5. Dr. Pankaj Khanna was invited as a Jury Member for the assessment of the prestigious INSPIRE scholarship organized by DST, New Delhi held on 14-16th Aug. 2011 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
6. Dr. Gagan Dhawan was selected for Universitas 21 Award to do masters degree in Bioinformatics (Degree Awarded) at University of Edinburgh, UK, under University of Delhi Faculty Training Program.
7. Dr. Pankaj Khanna has published a PCT patent followed by US, European and Australian patents. Also, a publication of the same work, in Proceeding's of National Academy of Sciences, USA, was acclaimed by an Indian daily, The Telegraph.
8. Dr. Ram Kumar, Department of Zoology was an Invited Professor at University de Lille 1, Sciences et Technologies, CNRS - UMR 8187, France during the period May - July 2009 and as a Visiting Scientist, in National Taiwan Ocean University for Promotion of Marine Ecology Research, at the Institute of Marine Biology, NTOU, Taiwan, ROC during October - November, 2009.
9. Dr. Arijit Chowdhuri, Department of Physics was a Visiting Fellow at the Department of Electronics Materials Engineering, Research School of Physics and Engineering, The Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 0200, Australia for six months starting June 2009.
10. Dr. Sarita Kumar was appointed honorable member of editorial board of International journals - the Journal of Applied and Natural Science and Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. Dr. Arijit Chowdhuri continues to be editorial advisory board member of the international journal - Sensors and Transducers. Dr. Amit Garg and Ms. Reena Sharma were appointed reviewers for the journal 'Computer Application in Engineering Education' published by John Wiley and Sons.
11. Dr. Anju Agarwal became member of two international societies of IEEE, namely Professional Organization and Communication Society besides being a member of Society of Microelectronics. Dr. Amit Garg continues to be a member of Optical Society of India, while Dr. Arijit Chowdhuri became a member of IEEE, USA.
12. Dr. Anju Agrawal supervised a Ph. D. thesis titled "Analytical Modeling and Simulation of AlGaN/GaN Modulation Doped Field Effect Transistor" as a co-guide.
13. Dr. Ram Kumar delivered three invited talks besides chairing a session in an international conference, while Dr. Arijit Chowdhuri delivered two invited talks and details of the same are incorporated in the Annexure to this report.
14. Dr. Monisha Khanna, Department of Zoology has been recognized as a research guide by the Faculty of Science, University of Delhi. She has one student drawing CSIR fellowship registered for Ph.D with her. She is doing her research work in the college.
15. Dr. Vibha Gaur of the Faculty of Computer Science has four Ph.D students registered with her.